We, at Butterfly Progressive Montessori Preschool, believe that no singular method of learning can meet each preschooler’s changing needs as he/she grows. The following tenets underlie the philosophy of Butterfly Progressive Montessori Preschool:
- to provide a safe and nurturing environment which supports the child’s physical, social, artistic, emotional and intellectual (cognitive) development;
- that a high quality, developmentally appropriate program and materials are available to all children;
- that children have enormous potential for growth and achievement (especially under the age of 6), and that they should have rights to fulfill their possibilities;
- that children are unique who may or may not reflect the usual characteristic of other children of their same age;
- that a developmentally appropriate curriculum is correctly tailored to the specific needs of each child;
- that learning should be based upon children’s interests and that children should be actively involved in their education;
- that any kind of life experience is valuable for learning.
Our Mission is to:
- develop independence and leadership skills;
- develop problem solving and critical thinking skills;
- develop self-respect, respect for others, and respect for the environment;
- develop the value of honesty, and to learn to accept responsibility for ones actions.
In addition, there is a casual uniform policy at Butterfly Progressive Montessori Preschool. The school colours for tops and bottoms are: blue, black, grey and white with no commercial prints. By promoting a calm non-distracting environment and keeping with what is real, we believe that having the children dressed in gender neutral colours will help steer away from girls only wanting to be dressed like princesses and boys in superhero outfits. We ask all parents to respect the rule and dress the children in school colours everyday.